Tortilla de patatas
One of the musts of the Spanish gastronomy. A typical dish that almost everyone loves, also very easy & cheap to prepare! With or without onion? That´s the dilemma! 😊
Ingredients (Around 4 people)
5/6 medium potatoes (around 800g/900g)
6/7 eggs (if you want it more juicy, then add 9). If possible, use free range ones, for a better taste and colour :)
1 medium onion (opcional)
Olive oil to fry
- Beat the eggs well and add some drops of salt. Keep in a bowl for a few minutes
- Chop the potatoes and the onion (if you decide to do it with onion), in thin squares.
- Fry the potatoes and onions in a good amount of pre-heated oil (which almost covers the potatoes). Remember: the texture of the cooked potatoes plays a critical role in how the tortilla turns out.
- Once they're well fried -not very very toasted, but well cooked-, drain the potatoes and onions through a mesh strainer, saving that oil for later use. Use kitchen paper to drain the oil and then put them on the bowl with the eggs and a some more salt (not a lot).
- Put the mix into a saucepan with a little bit of oil, and put medium-low heat. Allow a few minutes to cook (maybe 5, you can run a spatula along the sides to make sure it’s not sticking), and then it comes the tricky part... the flip!! But don´t be afraid, you need to do it with confidence :)
- To flip the tortilla grab a large plate - it must be larger than the frying pan! Then, you have to put the plate on top of the pan and flip quickly and confidently. It will be runny, but don’t worry — you’ll put everything back into the pan to cook the other side! If needed, just put a little bit more oil in the saucepan. Another few minutes until you feel its ready, take the tortilla back with the plate, et voilá!
If you want the tortilla more juicy, 2 minute tops per each side, should be enough. Enjoy!